Commemoration of Stay /visit/ Use of Thambyah Mudaliyar ChathiramBy Swami Vivekananda & 7 Direct Disciplesof Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa Deva. On 7th of August 2017.
The memorial was unveiled on the 7th of August 2017, in the Presence of Hon. D.M. Swaminathan, (Minister of Prison Reforms, Rehabilitation, Resettlement and Hindu Religious Affairs) by Rev Swami Goutamanandaji Maharaj (Vice President, Ramakrishna Math & Ramakrishna Mission and the President, Sri Ramakrishna Math, Chennai).
All were welcome by Sri J.M. Swaminathan, Attorney-at-Law, a board member of Ramakrishna Mission (Ceylon Branch) and a descendant of the family members who made the address of welcome to Swami Vivekananda & traveled with him in Sri Lanka.
Revered Swami Gautamanandaji Maharaj spoke on the occasion of Swami Vivekananda and Harmony of Religions and also felicitated the present trustees of the Thambyah Mudaliyar Chathiram for continuing the services of Thambyah Mudaliar Chathiram and permitting Ramakrishna Mission to have a Memorial at the historical important place.
The Chathiram was established in Colombo by Sri Thambyah Mudaliyar in 1880 for local & Indian pilgrims of Lord Muruga of the famous temple Kathirkamam (Kataragama), to rest on their way.
Sri Thambaiyah Muthaliyar was a member of the 1st Colombo Municipal Council and relative of the well-known Sir Ponnambalam Ramanathan & Ponnambalam Arunachalam. The above three together with other prominent members of Hindu Society, assembled at the Chathiram to organize a grand reception, the scale never given to any other person in the history of Sri Lanka, to receive Swami Vivekananda when he visited Sri Lanka on 15th January 1897 on his way to India.
Swami Vivekananda later sent Swami Shivananda in July to Sri Lanka to spread the message of Sri Ramakrishna. He stayed in the Chathiram and conducted classes, lectures, etc. for about 8 months.
Swami Ramakrishnananda, Swami Abhedananda, Swami Turiyananda, Swami Vijanananda, Swami Triguanatitananda and Swami Niranjanananda visited Sri Lanka on various occasions. The Hindu Chathiram was the only place available at that time for them.
Photos. - Album